Pesto tastes good on just about anything. I especially love it on my Ultra Skinny Pesto Pizza, or pesto on shrimp, toasted bread, rice pasta, oh, how the list could go on, and on.
The problem with pesto? It’s not the greatest sauce for your waistline. At 240 calories and 23 grams of fat on average for ¼ cup of pesto loading on traditional pesto can also load on added pounds.
My version of pesto sauce is made without the traditional Parmesan cheese. Saving calories, without losing flavor! At only 130 calories for a ¼ cup you could be saving over a hundred calories!
Making pesto without cheese makes it much easier to freeze as well, allowing you not to waste any delicious-ness! 😉 Just freeze in a ice cube tray for individual portions. Once frozen, place the pesto cubes in a zip-block bag until ready to use.
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves (tightly packed)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- Place everything into a food processor and blend for 5 minutes, or until smooth.
- Every few minutes scrape down the sides until well blended.
- Use immediately or freeze in ice cube trays for individual portions. To use frozen portions, let thaw at room temperature for about an hour or thaw overnight in a bowl in the refrigerator.
What are your favorite recipes using pesto?