Well, that crazy piece of workout equipment is called a BOSU, and it’s one of our favorite pieces of equipment to target your abs and your core. The whole idea of the Bosu is to create and unstable surface making your core have to work harder to maintain balance. This means double trouble for the area just about everyone is dying to slim down.
But Bosu’s are not just for your abs and core, you can get a great cardio workout, like with my Bosu HIIT Workout, or strengthen your lower or upper body. Not to mention, there are a lot of great flexibility exercises that can be done on the Bosu. This is why Bosu’s are becoming more and more popular in gyms and home gyms because their are SO MANY different things you can do with them. We think that Bosu’s are a must have for every gym and home gym.
Here is one of our favorite Bosu Core Workouts! Enjoy!
Repeat this workout as a circuit moving from one exercise to the next with no rest. Repeat this circuit 1-3 times through.
- Push Ups – Start in a plank position with your hands on the flat side on the bosu. Lower down into a push up position, hovering your chest off the bosu. Keeping your abs and core engaged, press back up to your plank position. Repeat for 20 repetitions. (This can also be performed on your knees for a less advanced exercise.)
- Sit Up, Stand Up – Start laying on the bosu with your hands reaching over head and your legs straight. Using your abs, curl yourself up into a sit up as your bring your knees in so that your feet are flat on the ground. Using your abs and legs push all the way up to standing. To lower back down, squat all the way down to sit on the bosu and reach your arms in front. Roll your spine over the bosu to lower all the way down reaching hands over head and legs straight in front. Repeat for 20 repetitions.
- Knee In & Extend – Start in your plank position again with hands on the flat surface of the bosu, pull your RIGHT knee into your chest using your abs. Extend your RIGHT leg all the way out and up squeezing your butt. Lower the leg down to your plank position and repeat on the LEFT. Complete 10 repetitions on each side for a total of 20.
- Side Plank Leg Lift – Start in a side plank position with the flat surface down and your elbow on the round surface. Have your feet stacked and lift yourself up from your core. Lift your top leg up and squeeze your outer hip muscles. Lower down with control and make sure to keep the rest of your body still. Repeat for 20 repetitions on you RIGHT leg and the repeat 20 repetitions on your LEFT leg.
- Back Extensions – Start laying your stomach on the round surface of the bosu and dig your toes into the floor. Bring your hands behind your head and squeeze your shoulder blades together. Keeping your abs tight lift your upper back up into an extension and squeeze all of your upper back muscles. Relax your muscles and lower down over the bosu. Repeat for 20 repetitions.