“Summer time… and the livin’s easy…”
There is nothing better than getting a workout in at the beach! Every time I get to the beach I try to sneak a workout in first thing so that I can enjoy a day of just laying around soaking up the sun or enjoying the company of friends.
Here is a fun plank workout that you can do to strengthen your core and feel tight before laying out in the sunshine. Try this on the beach for an added challenge, you won’t believe how much harder planks are in the sand! And if you want a little extra ab work try our 5 Minute Pilates Ab Routine! 😉
Walk the Plank Workout
Complete this workout as a circuit, moving from one exercise to the next without rest. Repeat this 1-3 times depending on your fitness level.
- Planks Jacks – Start in a plank position on your hands, engage your core and jump your feet apart and together…just like jumping jacks! Try not to let your hips rise up. Complete 30 repetitions.
- Spider Man Planks – Come down to a plank on your forearms. Bring your right knee up to your right elbow while crunching your obliques. Bring the legs together in a plank, then alternate sides. Repeat 20 times total.
- Booty Lift Planks – From your plank on your forearms lift one leg straight off the ground to engage your glutes! Flex your foot to really lengthen through the back of your legs. Be careful not to lose your core integrity by allowing your belly to hang towards the sand. Repeat 20 times total.
- Military Planks – These are a #LiveFitFavorite! Move from a forearm plank to your hands by moving one arm at a time (placing your hand where your elbow was) and pressing away from the ground. Once you have gotten into your push up position, use the same arm you began with to lower your body back down to the forearm plank. Repeat 10 times on each side.
- Front Plank Leg Lifts – Flip over onto your booty and place your hands slightly behind your hips with your fingers facing towards you. Press up through the back of your legs to a front plank. Hold your front plank and raise one leg up, trying to keep your hips high the entire time. Stay up and alternate legs, repeat 20 times total.
- Twisty Side Planks – Come into a side plank with the free hand straight up in the air. You may stack your feet or bring one foot in front of the other. Bring your top hand down to “hug” your waist and rotate your entire upper body toward the ground. Carefully untwist to come back into a side plank, repeat for 10 on each side.
- Waist Widdler Planks – From your side plank lower your hips toward your beach towel. As soon as you feel the surface lift your hips back up by squeezing your obliques! Be sure you aren’t DROPPING your hips by relaxing the muscle and hanging. Repeat for 10 on each side.