“Let the sea set you free…”
We LOVE Planks! Usually when you think plank, you think core work…which is true! But, did you know that you also get a great upper body workout when you are planking? This workout will help you tone your tummy, shoulders and booty! Talk about a triple threat!
Don’t forget we are now offering a FREE printable download for each workout! They will be under each workout, towards the end of the posts from now on! 🙂
Arms & Abs Plank Challenge
Complete this workout as a circuit moving from one exercise to the next with no rest. Depending on your fitness level complete 1-3 sets.
- Twist & Kick – Start in your plank position. Bring one leg across your body, while twisting from the core, to kick out your leg straight. Then return it to the plank position, repeat on the other side. Repeat 30 repetitions side to side and feel those obliques WORK!
- Three Legged Dog – Go from a plank to a “Down Dog” position but bring one leg up to the sky. As you come back down to your plank bring that knee towards your chest and squeeze your abs. Continue using the same leg for 20 repetitions without touching your foot to the ground, then switch sides.
- Knee Drops – Starting in a plank position with your hands beneath your shoulders lower your knees toward the ground. While doing so keep your core engaged ever so tightly and then straighten your legs back up to your plank position. Complete 20 repetitions.
- Side Reach & Crunch – Bring yourself into a side plank position with one leg hovering off of the ground. Reach your top arm over your head then bend your arm and leg towards each other until you feel a “crunch” in your obliques and your elbow meets your knee. Extend both limbs and repeat for 20 repetitions before switching sides.
- Reverse Plank Booty Lifts – Flip your plank over so that your tummy is facing the sky and your using the muscle in your glutes and triceps to hold you up. Lower your hips towards the ground without “plopping” down and relaxing your muscles, then raise your hips back up towards the sky and squeeze those glute muscles! Do 20 repetitions!
Click here to get your FREE printable download! Right Click and “Save as…”
This is another one of those great workouts that you can do just about anywhere! We are so happy to hear that many of you are taking these workouts and doing them at home, at the gym, on the beach and on vacation! Remember to tweet this workout to your friends to have them join you in this Arms & Abs Plank Challenge. We look forward to viewing your posts on Twitter and Instagram with the hash tag #LiveFitSummer. Summer ain’t over yet, and we are soaking up every minute of it! Happy Planking!