Sometimes there’s nothing like a fresh, cold sandwich on a hot summer day. To me this sandwich has been a summertime favorite for years. I remember, I was in high school, on a family vacation, when my aunt made this sandwich for me.
Since that day, it has been one of my most favorite sandwiches ever. A few years later, I saw something similar in a magazine called a “California Sandwich”…so it stuck.
It’s a perfect summer sandwich, especially when the ingredients are chilled. Take a bite and you will crunch into those refreshing cucumbers and summer-ripe tomatoes! The mouth-watering avocado is perfect topped with spicy little sprouts! So delicious! It’s one of our favorite sandwiches to bring for a day at the beach!
- 2 slices Ezekiel Bread
- 1 tablespoon hummus (we like garlic hummus!)
- 1/2 ripe avocado, sliced or mashed
- 1/4 cucumber, sliced thin
- 1/2 roma tomato, sliced
- 1/4 cup alfalfa sprouts
- fresh black pepper
- Lightly toast the ezekiel bread.
- Spread hummus over one slice of bread and top with avocado, cucumbers, tomato, sprouts and pepper to taste.
- Serve with fresh veggies and hummus.