As promised yesterday, here is THE BEST fall soup out there!! Pumpkin Chili!
Fall is the best time of year for a nice hearty soup! This festive soup takes the fall vegetable we all love, PUMPKIN, and makes this already delicious soup even more filling and nutritious!!
Did you Know? Pumpkin is very low in calories, but packs a ton of fiber, making you feel fuller longer! It’s also a great source of Vitamin A, which is important for healthy skin, teeth and bones (as well as your eyes!), and is high in Vitamin K, which may prevent some forms of cancer.
This healthy soup is perfect to help you reach your goals during #Lean4Halloween. It’s easy to make a big batch to have all week for lunches and dinner. It freezes well, also making it a great option for a no-fuss meal anytime!
The hardest part of this recipe is cutting the pumpkin! We used the method we found here to help us, and it worked pretty well! You could also by canned, CUBBED pumpkin, but we love the taste of fresh!
We also choose to make this recipe with shredded chicken breasts instead of ground. We followed these instructions for shredding our chicken, but you could always use ground chicken breasts as well and sauté it in a little olive oil!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 cups pumpkin, cubed (about 1 small baking pumpkin)
- 1 can cannellini beans
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 pound chicken breast (cooked and shredded, OR cooked, ground chicken)
- Cook and prepare chicken however you choose to. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a stock pot over a medium high heat.
- Sauté onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño for about 3 minutes, or until onions are translucent. Stir occasionally.
- Add all additional ingredients (except chicken) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until pumpkin is fork tender.
- Add chicken and let heat through for 2 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy, or divide into individual storage containers for a quick lunch or dinner!
Once you make this delicious soup take a picture and tag us @LiveFitGirls on Instagram or Twitter! We want to see your yummy creations! Make sure to tell a girlfriend about this recipe, too, they won’t want to miss it! 😉