I am on a roll right now with these breakfast recipes! That powerhouse Quinoa Breakfast Bowl last week, and now THESE delicious little morsels!
If you don’t know this about me… but I am a donut addict! Yes, I admit it…I LOVE DONUTS! While living in Brooklyn, I found THE BEST donut shop ever. Oh-Em-Gee!! If you live in NYC (or visit!) I fully allow you to, and suggest you try DOUGH Doughnuts in Bed-Stuy or at Flat Iron… they’re are the most mouth-watering, melt-in-your-mouth, delicious donuts you will ever have…and honestly are one of the things I miss the most about NYC… judge me… I usually treated myself to at least one a week (…and sometimes two!), they are my guilty pleasure and I am not ashamed to admit it.
At DOUGH, they have a toasted coconut donut that is to die for, and since Nik just bought me a donut pan a few weeks ago, I though I would test it out and recreate a healthy version of this ahhh-mazing donut. And these are the healthiest coconut donut you will ever find!
This is the ULTIMATE coconut donut, with coconut sugar, coconut oil, coconut milk, shredded coconut, AND coconut extract…But saying that, they are not overly powerful. They are just the right amount of delightful coconut-ty goodness and are a healthy way to enjoy a delectable treat! With NO guilt! 😉
I subbed out a bunch of ingredients to make these super healthy, without losing any flavor. I used Greek yogurt in place of a lot of the fat, used coconut sugar to lower the glycemic index of these beauties, and used oat flour in place of regular flour to help add some healthy nutrients. I made a coconut whipped cream frosting with full-fat coconut milk, and topped everything off with some unsweetened shredded coconut!
You seriously NEED to try these because they may be one of the best recreations ever done…EVER.
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup coconut OR almond milk
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a donut pan with coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl, mix to combine oat flour, coconut sugar, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, whisk to combine the egg, Greek yogurt, milk, coconut oil, and coconut extract.
- Pour dry ingredients into your wet ingredients and stir until mixed and smooth.
- Spoon batter into a large ziplock bag. Using scissors, cut a half inch corner off. Pipe the bater into the donut pan 1/3 of the way filled.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- While the donuts are baking prepare the frosting. Open your refrigerated can of coconut milk and scoop out the hardened coconut fat into a large bowl or standing mixer. (Reserve the liquid to add to smoothies!)
- Add honey and using an electric mixer, blend on high until soft peaks begin to form. Set frosting aside in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Once the donuts are fully cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool at least 20-30 minutes, so the frosting doesn't melt.
- While the donuts are cooling, toast the shredded coconut. Place the coconut on a baking sheet and toast 8-12 minutes until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Once the donuts are cooled, frost each donut with the coconut frosting and sprinkle with the toasted coconut. Enjoy! 🙂
What’s your favorite donut? I think I’m now on a donut making kick…