I think strawberry season may be one of the best seasons there is! I love going to Whole Foods and seeing organic strawberries for sale! Two pounds for only $6? That calls for a celebration!
A celebration with some Skinny Strawberry Shortcake!
Strawberry shortcake has been one of my favorite desserts since I first made it in cooking class in eighth grade. I remember saving the recipe and putting it with my little stash of recipes I loved, next to all of my mom’s cookbooks…Who knew I would now be developing recipes for a living…funny how things work out! 🙂
Anyway, this version of one of my favorites is made so much healthier with a few little healthy ingredient swaps. I swapped regular flour for oat flour to make some delicious oat biscuits, sweetened my strawberries with some pure maple syrup, and topped everything with my favorite ingredient ever, Greek yogurt! I sweetened it with a bit more maple syrup and a little dribble of vanilla extract.
This recipe is so delicious and healthy I even ended up eating it the morning after for breakfast! And there was no guilt at all! This is perfect as a skinny dessert or a satisfying breakfast! BOOM! Two for one!
- 1 cups oat flour
- 1 teaspoons coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the yogurt and milk and stir with a wooden spoon until a dough forms. Transfer to a lightly floured counter top.
- Knead the dough a few times, just until the dough is smooth. It will be pretty sticky!
- Roll the dough out, using a floured rolling pin, to about 3/4-inch thick.
- Using a biscuit cutter or the open end of a drinking glass, cut into 3-inch rounds.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet 1-inch apart.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Prepare the strawberries, in a medium sized bowl add slice strawberries and maple syrup and mix to evenly coat the strawberries. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine Greek yogurt, maple syrup, and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- Once the biscuits are cooked and slightly cooled, top with strawberries and Greek yogurt and enjoy!
Do you have a favorite childhood recipe that you love?