Looking for the BEST healthy turkey burger recipe? Look no further — this recipe is easy, fast, and is FULL of flavor!
With Memorial Day this weekend, I know you have plans for some fun in the sun! ☀︎ Whether it’s a cookout with friends, relaxing on the beach, or hitting up a few parties, I’m sure you will be out enjoying the sunshine.
And no summer holiday is complete without some burgers!
These easy turkey burgers are to die for!! They are the perfect base for literally ANY kind of burger you want!
Only want cheese? No problem. Want to get a little creative? Top it with some grilled pineapple, or maybe a slice of nitrate-free bacon. Or, if you’re Mexican obsessed like me…top it with some guac and salsa! YUM!
Whether you’re a Plain Jane or you want a fully-loaded burger, THIS is the healthy burger for you!
As for serving, I’m a Plain Jane — I usually use one of my favorite healthy ingredient swaps and serve mine with an Ezekiel bun to lower the glycemic index. I also used sharp cheddar or Provolone as a healthier cheese than regular ‘Merican cheese (which by the way if you ever look at the ingredients..it’s not even really cheese…yuck!). But get creative — you do you girl! 😉
OH…and these turkey burgers are absolutely PERFECT with some crispy Sweet Potato Fries! Literally SO good.
And the best part??…These are amazing to add to your healthy meal prepping routine on the weekend! They’re great to top on salads, or with a lettuce “bun” on busy nights! AND they are totally freezer-friendly — wham bam thank you ma’am!
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Ezekiel or Whole Wheat Buns
- sharp cheddar cheese
- ketchup + mustard
- any other toppings of your choice
- In a large bowl, gently mix burger ingredients until just combined. Be careful not to play with the meat too much or your burgers will be tough!
- Divide mixture into 4 equal sizes and gently form into patties.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat, or preheat a nonstick skillet over a medium heat on the stove.
- Lightly spray the grill or skillet with olive oil, and then cook the patties for 4-6 minutes per side, or until the center is no longer pink and the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- Assemble your burgers, and enjoy!
- Freeze BEFORE Cooking - Prepare burger patties as directed. Instead of cooking them, stack them placing a small piece of wax paper between each one. Place stacked burgers in a freezer bag and freeze. To serve: Thaw and cook as directed above.
- Freeze AFTER Cooking - After the patties are cooked as directed above, Allow them to cool to room temperature. Transfer the burgers to a wax paper-lined baking sheet and freeze. Once frozen, stack them with a piece of wax paper in between and place in a freezer bag and freeze. To serve: Reheat in microwave for 1-2 minutes or until heated through.
What healthy topping are you going to put on your turkey burger?