I don’t know about you, but one of my favorite things about summer is getting together with friends and family. I love catching up with friends and enjoying each others company on long summer nights.
Nik and I just had a few friends over the other night (for the first time in weeks after all of our traveling) and I needed to make something simple yet tasty for everyone to enjoy poolside while Nik was slow-cooking some ribs…So I decided to make a version of one of my favorite treats from living in Brooklyn… Lox and cream cheese!
While we lived in Brooklyn it was our weekend treat every Saturday morning to go over to the most amazing bagel shop, and each get a bagel. I almost always got lox and cream cheese with capers, red onions, and avocado on a big old Jewish style bagel. (And yes, that was probably about 2/3 of my daily calories…so, I usually wasn’t hungry for the rest of the day!)
I had an idea to recreate a healthier version that would be perfect as a little finger food for our friends to enjoy. So I thought, why not put all that delicious-ness on a cracker? BOOM! So I used some of my favorite healthy crackers to make this little appetizer.
As you may know, I really love using Blue Diamond Nut Thins for a way to add a little crunch into a healthy lifestyle. For this recipe I used their Flax Seed Nut Thins (even more healthy bonus points for the flax! 😉 )
I also wanted to cut back a little bit on the fat content of regular old cream cheese so instead it swapped it with Neufchâtel cheese (which I used in my skinny cheesecake recipe <— #AMAZING!) and also added a little bit of my favorite healthy ingredient, nonfat Greek yogurt. I figured it would still give it a nice creamy texture without making the spread too thin.
Add a few fresh herbs and spices, dollop a bit of the spread on a cracker, and top with a healthy slice of smoked salmon!! Filling and satisfying while you wait for the main meal!
- 1 - 8 ounce package of Neufchâtel cheese
- 1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoons black pepper
- pink of sea salt
- 16 ounces smoked wild salmon, cute into bite-sized pieces
- 1 box Blue Diamond Artisan Nut Thins
- In a medium bowl mix together Neufchâtel, Greek yogurt, herbs, garlic, pepper and salt until creamy and smooth.
- Spread 1 teaspoon over each cracker and top with a slice of salmon.
- Enjoy! 🙂
- The Neufchâtel mixture can be prepared in advance, but don't assemble until just before serving.
Have you ever had NYC bagels? What’s your favorite topping?
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Blue Diamond Almond Nut Thins. All opinions are 100% mine. Thanks for supporting The Live Fit Girls!