I have been dying to share this recipe with your literally for over a year! Last summer on one of my first trips to LA with Nik we went to this new restaurant around the corner from our friend’s apartment called Superba Food + Bread. Our friends had been raving about it, so we walked down there one night and had a little date night.
The industrial, yet rustic feel of the restaurant was really captivating, and Nik (Mr. Picky Foodie) is even agreed that the restaurant was really cool — and delicious, but we’ll get to that!
We loved that they bake their own bread and source high quality ingredients to create unique and creative dishes. We ordered one of the most amazingggg cheese plates I had ever seen (or tasted!) which inspired us to work on building our own cheese plates as home. We also shared a mouthwatering kale salad, some amazing avocado toast on their homemade bread, and I had a Black Rice Salad that was to die for!
I have tried to recreate this salad a few times and I think I finally got it! The dressing has just the right amount of sweetness combined with a touch of heat. It’s perfect!
This was the first time I had black rice and this dish made me obsessed. The minute I got back to Brooklyn I immediately found black rice at Whole Foods and tried to make my own version on this tasty salad.
I was pleasantly surprised when I found this so called “Forbidden Rice” and began reading the label. Black Rice is absolutely filled with healthy nutrients.
Reasons to ♡ Forbidden Black Rice
♥︎ Instead of being the color “black” it’s actually a very deep purple color and filled with the antioxidant anthocyanin, which is also found in blueberries and cranberries
♥︎ Anthocyanin antioxidants may help in preventing cardiovascular disease and protect against cancer caused by free radical damage
♥︎ Anthocyanin is also know for improving brain function and reducing inflammation. It also helps to detoxify the liver of harmful toxic build-up.
♥︎ Fiber rich which will keep you feel more satisfied in between meals, potentially helping weight loss
- 1 cup Thai Black Rice
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 cup diced pineapple
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/4 cup Thai Basil
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons Thai sweet chili sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon raw honey (or more to taste)
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- Prepare the rice according to package instructions. Once cooked, remove from heat an allow to cool to room temperature.
- Prepare the dressing by whisking all the dressing ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Preheat coconut oil over a medium heat in a large skillet. Sauté pineapple for 1-2 minutes tp bring out more flavor. Once heated through, remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large serving bowl combine rice, pineapple, cashews, Thai basil, and mint. Pour the dressing over the rice and mix to evenly coat.
- Serve and enjoy! 🙂
Have you ever had black rice before? What did you think of it?