Like I promised….today is S’MORES!!!
Yesterday, I gave you a critical piece to healthy s’mores and that was…the graham!
And if you haven’t seen Sandlot, and you somehow have no idea how to make a s’more…this little clip may help! 😉
As I mentioned, I used Madhava Sweeteners Organic Coconut Sugar and gluten-free oat flour to make super simple, and oh-so-delicious healthy graham crackers.
Having a healthy Graham cracker as a base is important because, when I looked at the ingredients in a popular brand of graham crackers there was all sorts of crazy ingredients…like artificial flavoring for one. These grahams are perfectly natural, and I promise you will never go back to store bought after you taste these!
The second part of making s’mores healthy is to use a high quality marshmallow (or make your own). I tried making vegan marshmallows last year, and let me just say…it was harder than I anticipated…I will of course try again, and when I get it right I will share it with you ASAP.
But this time, I just bought some handmade marshmallows from Whole Foods. Considering commercial marshmallows first ingredient was corn syrup, followed by artificial flavoring and food colorings…picking up some good quality marshmallows is a MUST.????
And yes, I realize marshmallows are about 100% sugar, but this is a TREAT, and not an every day type thing.
But, it you are against the mallows entirely, I understand and you can sub it out with some grilled bananas! YUM!????
The last part of your s’mores, is of course the chocolate, so I choose a good quality dark chocolate. Mine was a some Ghiradelli 72% dark chocolate.????
And if you haven’t heard by now, which I’m sure you have because every major magazine likes to always mention it, dark chocolate is very healthy for you in moderation. Cacao is filled with antioxidants that can help with cardiovascular disease and help to lower blood pressure. The darker the chocolate is that you eat, the more cacao it will have, providing all the benefits for a healthy heart.
In fact, having an ounce or so of dark chocolate a day is perfectly fine and will give you all of the benefits of cacao…so let’s just say, I make sure to eat my full ounce each day!????
- 16 Healthy Homemade Graham Crackers
- 8 high-quality handmade or homemade marshmallows
- 8 squares of 72% dark chocolate
- 1 banana, cut into 1-inch pieces, if desired
- wood skewers
- Grab your friends and carefully start a small fire in a fire pit, on your grill, or even on a gas stove.
- Arrange 8 of the homemade graham crackers on a plate and place one piece of chocolate on top of each cracker.
- Place one marshmallow or piece of banana, or a on a wood skewer and carefully roast until it reaches the desired doneness, whether flaming or not. 😉
- Place the marshmallow or banana on top of the chocolate and cover with another graham cracker.
- Continue with the remaining ingredients.
- Enjoy the s'mores and fun with your friends!
Enjoy your holiday weekend! Do you have any fun plans?