Oh boy! It’s that time of year again!
That time of year when the slow cooker comes out from hiding and gets a little dusting off.
As much as I hate seeing summer go, I will admit I do get excited for all the fall food! Anything pumpkin (ahem…like this, or this, or this!), or apple (…like this or this), or any kind of soup (like Butternut Squash Soup) makes me really love this time of year.
One of my fall and winter staples is this Simple Slow Cooker Turkey Chili. It’s the perfect warm comfort food for a chilly night. I love sitting on the couch under a big blanket, watching a movie, while enjoying a nice steamy bowl of this goodness.
I use of one my favorite healthy ingredient swaps — turkey — to lighten this chili up. And honestly, you can’t even tell the difference! (Even Nik doesn’t know the difference…shhh, don’t tell him! 😉 )
I also make sure to use no-salt-added black beans (or you could make your own!), and low-sodium diced tomatoes to keep the salt content down. I used homemade vegetable broth, but you can also find low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth as well.
All you do is brown the meat a bit, and sauté the onion and red bell pepper for a few minutes on the stove, and then place everything in your slow cooker to cook away for the day. When you get home later than night, you’ll be greeted with the lovely aroma of a comforting, home-cooked meal!
I love prepping this on Sundays, especially overnight on Sunday, for a super quick lunch for the rest of the week. And, during these chilly months, I ALWAYS have a few containers in my freezer for a quick and healthy meal on-hand whenever life gets a little crazy! 😉
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onions, diced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 pounds extra-lean ground turkey
- 1 - 28 ounce can diced tomatoes (low-sodium)
- 1 - 14 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 - 15 ounce cans black beans (no salt added), drained and rinsed
- 1 - 7 ounce can green chiles
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the onions and bell pepper, season with salt to taste, and cook, until the onions are translucent.
- Add the garlic, chili powder, and cumin, stir to coat the vegetables, and cook one minutes until fragrant.
- Add the ground turkey and cook, breaking the meat into small pieces with a spatula, until it's is no longer pink, about 7 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker, add the diced tomatoes and their juices, tomato sauce, and black beans, and stir in to combine.
- Cover and cook for 6-8 hours on low, or until the chili thickens and flavors blend.
- Stir in the green chiles and serve!
What’s one of your fall/winter staple meals?