In case you haven’t noticed…I have seriously been on a bender with soup recipes lately…Some people are soup eaters through and through, but I’ve never been a huge soup fan until the last year or so.
I think I’ve realized just how simple and convenient soups are for a super quick lunch or dinner. Like seriously, there is nothing better than getting home from a long day and pulling a jar of soup out of the fridge or freezer, and just throwing it in the microwave. It’s meal prep at it’s finest!
So because of this new found OBSESSION. I have been making all kinds of soups lately — remember that White Bean, Kale & Quinoa Soup from a few weeks ago??…yeah, amazing.
My latest creation was this Skinny Creamy Tomato Basil Soup — and, oh my god — heaven in a bowl!
I ate the first batch within 3 days…sorry, not sorry. Not only did I have this with some chicken and veggies for a simple and easy dinner…but I mayyyy have also had it for breakfast with some eggs. So after eating every last drop, I promptly made a second batch. <– It’s THAT good!
And you ladies know how I am ALL about convenience — so obviously this soup is done in about 40 minutes and takes minimal effort AND ingredients.
The hardest part is waiting for it to thicken up, which is literally just letting is simmer down, with of course the occasional stir. But the hard part is smelling the deliciousness and having to WAIT.
The secret that makes this so creamy and skinny is…almond milk — you KNOW I love my Almond Breeze! So this recipe is also completely vegan too! 😉 Just make sure you use the Almond Breeze Almondmilk Original Unsweetened version!
Then to top it all off, add some fresh chopped basil…I picked some straight from our basil plant on our balcony! I know the weather has been crazy this year, but nothing says summer is just around the corner than fresh basil!! YUM!
Oh…and p.s. this soup also tastes amazing cold — so it’s perfect for as the weather gets warmer! 😉
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes (low-sodium if possible)
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup Almond Breeze Almondmilk Original Unsweetened
- 1 loosely packed cut of basil, chopped
- Heat olive oil in a stockpot over a medium heat. Add onions and sauté until soft and translucent, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomatoes and broth, then season with fresh ground black pepper. (If you want to have a little kick in your soup add a little bit more pepper!)
- Bring the soup to a boil, then lower to a simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Purée the soup using an immersion blender or carefully transferring to a food processor or blender. If using a blender, return the soup back to the pot.
- Stir in the almond milk and basil and let simmer for at least 15 minutes, allowing the soup to reduce and thicken.
- Ladle into serving dishes and enjoy!
What’s your favorite soup, I want to experiment with more recipes!
This post sponsored by Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Almond Milk. All opinions are 100% mine.
Thanks for supporting The Live Fit Girls!