Ok, so I’m sure you’ve scrolled through your Instagram at some point and seen some beautiful coconut or pineapple bowls and always thought that it must take a ton of work and creativity — well actually no. It’s SO EASY!!
I decided that I wanted to figure out how to make them — so a few weeks ago, I made my first one, and now I’m OBSESSED. Plus, I think it’s a perfectly summery way to enjoy fruit, jespecially during the #BeachBumChallenge!
Last week I shared with you a tasty brunch recipe in honor of my recent brunch festivities with Kerrie Walsh Jennings & Almond Breeze. This week, I’m bringing you another tasty brunch recipe with this Piña Colada Breakfast Quinoa.
Well, really this quinoa recipe can be for breakfast, brunch, snack, or even a dessert — so don’t feel obligated to only eat it at breakfast, is what I’m trying to say! 😉
But, what makes this Piña Colada Quinoa the perfect, go-to brunch recipe is the super cute pineapple bowl that it’s served in! Your brunch pals will LOVE the beautiful display, and it will look like you put so much effort into it — when really, it’s super quick and easy to create.
There are only two real “tips” or rules for making pineapple bowls — but they are everything!
Rule 1: USE A BIG SHARP KNIFE.
Seriously though, Nik and I just got our knives sharpened at the farmer’s market a few weeks ago, and it is KEY! I use the largest knife we have (seriously, it’s like a machete), it about 11 inches, and is SHARP. Yes, it’s a little scary, but it makes cutting through a whole pineapple a piece of cake.
Rule 2: (It’s more of a tip, but you get the idea!) I recommend using a grapefruit spoon (you know, the ones with a serrated edge) to help scoop out the flesh. Start by cutting about a half an inch away from the skin to help you get started, then use the grapefruit spoon to dig down into the bottom part of the bowl to scoop it out easily.
These two rules/tips will make this whole creative process take only 2 minutes! So simple!
The rest of this recipe is easy peasy! You’ll prepare some quinoa as you normally would — only you’ll cook it in milk (I like using Almond Breeze Coconut Almond milk blend for some extra tropical flavor!) and some pineapple juice for some sweetness. Then you’ll add some shredded coconut, diced up pineapple — and to really bring it over the top, sprinkle it with Blue Diamond Toasted Coconut Almonds! YUM so good!
- 1 cup white quinoa
- 1 ½ cups milk of choice
- ½ unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1-2 tablespoons honey (optional)
- sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)
- ¼ cup unsweetened, shredded coconut
- ¼ cup Blue Diamond Toasted Coconut Almonds
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, diced
- Using a large and very sharp knife, carefully cut the pineapple lengthwise, doing your best to cut the top as evenly as possible. Use a grapefruit spoon, or a pairing knife and regular spoon, to cut and scoop out the pineapple flesh, leaving about 1/2 inch of flesh to the skin. Reserve the flesh and dice it for your quinoa.
- Bring the milk, pineapple juice, and quinoa to a boil in a medium saucepan. Once boiling, lower to a simmer, and cook for 20 minutes, or until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Stir in honey, cinnamon, and shredded coconut to mix well.
- Top with sliced pineapple and almonds. Enjoy!
Have you ever made a pineapple bowl before? What did you fill it with?
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Blue Diamond Almonds. All opinions are 100% mine. Thanks for supporting The Live Fit Girls!