If you remember a few weeks ago, I went to a big brunch event with Almond Breeze and Kerri Walsh Jennings…well, the brunch festivities are no where near being over! I’ve teamed up with Almond Breeze again to bring you a few special brunch recipes to prepare for Mother’s Day this weekend!
The first recipe is one that I have been wanting to share for a while — I had actually planned to share it for Valentine’s Day, but as you know we were in the middle of our big cross country move — so that never happened! But honestly, every occasion calls for Red Velvet in my opinion! 😉
So, I’m going to let you in on a little secret…these Red Velvet Donuts are actually HEALTHY.
Do you know why?…Because they are actually RED from the beets that are in them!!
You heard right! I said BEETS.
These vibrant little beauties are colored completely naturally using beets, and still have a sweet, velvety, chocolate taste thanks to some raw cacao powder…Mmmm!
And of course to top it off, a healthier Cream Cheese glaze! Because, let’s be real, Red Velvet anything isn’t complete with out it!
Both the donuts and the glaze save on calories a bit using Almond Breeze Almondmilk, and the donuts are made with one of my favorite healthy baking substitutes — oat flour!
This recipe is actually an adaptation of my Red Velvet Pancakes I posted last Valentine’s Day. It’s actually incredibly easy and only takes 20 minutes from start to finish.
I’m even going to be trying these in a cupcake form soon as well — and of course I’ll be sure I to share them too! Maybe next Valentine’s Day?!
Anyway, back to MOTHER’S DAY — the best part about this recipe is that no one will even know these are healthy. They are the perfect cake-y donut texture, and the glaze is nice and sweet! (I did opt for using organic powdered sugar in the glaze, but you could also make the pancake drizzle instead, for a lower sugar option!)
Make these for your Mama this Mother’s Day and she will LOVE the heartfelt gift of a homemade treat, I promise!
- 4 ounces Neufchatêl or low-fat cream cheese (room temperature)
- 1/4 cup organic powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons Almond Breeze Vanilla Almondmilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a donut pan with coconut oil and set aside,
- Cut your beet into quarters and place in a microwave safe bowl. Add a tablespoon or two of water and cover with a plate. Steam the beet for 5-7 minutes, rotating halfway through.
- Carefully uncover (watch out for the steam!), and place in a blender or food processor. Add banana and milk and blend until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend until fully mixed and smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Transfer the dough into piping bag or a medium ziplock bag, and cut a 3/4 inch hole in one corner to create a piping bag.
- Pipe the dough into the donut pan, filling each cavity 2/3 of the way.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the donut to cool slightly while you prepare the glaze.
- Place all the glaze ingredient in a medium bowl. Mix the ingredients with a hand mixer until smooth.
- Once the donuts are almost completely cooled, dip the tops in the glaze or use a knife to spread it on depending on how think your glaze is.
- Serve and enjoy!
What plans do you have this Mother’s Day weekend?
This post sponsored by Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Almond Milk. All opinions are 100% mine.
Thanks for supporting The Live Fit Girls!