Well, it’s officially football season!! Nik and I headed out for another weekend away (seriously, so much traveling lately!) — this time to the mountains in Arizona for our best friend, Katie’s birthday weekend! We normally drive out to Arizona, becuase we take the dogs. But since we FINALLY booked our two week trip to Thailand this November, Nik wanted to save is vacation days — so we flew to save some time.
Anyway — we tried to pick up an earlier flight back on Sunday, which didn’t pan out, so we ended up sitting at the airport for 5 hours, hanging out. So, obviously, we found a bar and posted up to watch some football for a few hours — and started planning our Thailand adventure.
However, all I could think about was this delicious dip I created for you — I created and tested it out last week, and let me tell you — bomb dot com.
I was of course Pinterest-ing a few weeks ago and ran across a BLT dip that sounded like a FANTASTIC idea for the football season — so, obviously, I had to recreate it the Live Fit Girl way!
This dip uses Neufchâtel instead of regular cream cheese to cut wayyyyyy down on fat, and also uses one of my favorite healthy swaps — nonfat Greek yogurt — instead of sour cream.
I also choose a healthier bacon for this recipe, so you still get that amazing bacon-y taste, with less fat!
See, I’m not a turkey bacon fan — most turkey bacon is filled with a bunch of junk — so I still have pork bacon. But, the trick with choosing the healthiest bacon is getting center cut bacon. Center cut bacon usually at least 33% lower in fat, and you actually get more protein. Also, be sure to get uncured, nitrate-free and if possible, low-sodium. I loveeee Applegate Farms Good Morning Bacon.
Anyway, this is a super easy — yet fancy — dip to make for a game day party. While your bacon is cooking in the oven — ALWAYS, so much easier and lets the fat drip off the bacon making it nice and crispy (and less fatty) — you prep all the remaining ingredients. Within 30 minutes you have a super easy dip, that’s warm, melty, cheesy, AND will allow you to stay on track!
I also love serving this dip with some homemade pita chips, but it’s also great with some carrots and celery! YUM!
- 6 slices, center-cut, uncured, nitrate-free bacon
- 8 ounces Neufchâtel, soften at room temperature
- 1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon pink Himalayian salt
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup sharp shredded cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, and place a cookie cooking rack on top.
- Place the slices of bacon on the cooling racks, and bake for 15-20 minutes, or until crispy. (Cooking them on a cookie sheet helps cut the fat and grease!)
- While the bacon is cooking, mix together the Neufchâtel, Greek yogurt, garlic powder, pepper, salt, and onion powder, until smooth. Transfer to a small baking dish and sprinkle with the shredded cheese. Place the Neufchâtel mixture into the oven for 5 minutes or until slightly bubbly.
- Remove both the Neufchâtel mixture and the bacon from the oven and set aside.
- Shred the lettuce and slice the tomatoes. Sprinkle the Neufchâtel mixture with the lettuce.
- After the bacon has slightly cooled, crumble it into small pieces, and sprinkle over the lettuce.
- Top with the tomatoes and serve with homemade pita chips!