Welcome to the #HappyNewYOU Challenge!
For your first new workout of the Challenge — and the New Year! — is this workout for absolutely awesome abs!
Who doesn’t love a good ab workout? And this workout is perfect to tone and tighten your waistline, and strengthen your core. It goes perfect with a cardio workout, or after a full body workout.
Also, be sure to check the weekly schedule to make sure you get in all of today’s workout — today is cardio, this ab workout, and a plank test!
Yoga Design Lab Combo Mat (in Geo)
Find your PRINTABLE download HERE!
Absolutely Awesome Abs Workout
- Arm + Leg Reach – Start on all fours, with your shoulders directly over your hands, and your hips over your knees. Engage your abs and keep your hips as steady as possible, as you extend your RIGHT arm forward, and your LEFT leg back behind you. Continue to keep your abs pulled in tight, and hips steady. Repeat, reaching the LEFT arm and RIGHT leg out in opposite directions. Continue to alternate sides for 10 repetitions on each side.
- Plank Reach – Start in a full plank position with your shoulders over your hands. Engage your abs and core as you carefully lift your RIGHT arm in front of you, while at the same time lift the LEFT leg up and back behind you. With control, lower back down to a plank and repeat on the other side. The goal is to keep your hips and torso as steady as possible. Complete 10 repetitions on each side.
- Plank Twist – Come into a side plank on your elbow. (You can stagger your feet, or even have your lower knee on the mat as a modification.) Keep your lower obliques strong, and place your top hand behind your head with your elbow pointing up to the sky. Without letting your hips wiggle too much, twist from your torso to bring the top elbow down towards the floor. Untwist back to the top, and repeat 10 times.
- Plank Crunch – Stay in your side plank position and reach your top hand towards the ceiling or place it on your top hip. Lower the bottom hip down towards the floor, and lift the hip back up by engaging the lower oblique muscles. Complete 10 repetitions on the right side before switching to the left for both side plank exercises.
- Scissors – Lay on your back with your hands behind your head and your legs straight up to the ceiling. Use the abs to lift your head and chest off the mat. Keeping your head lifted the entire time, rotate the torso to the RIGHT, focusing on bringing the left ribs to the right hips. As you rotate to the RIGHT, lower the left leg down, keeping it straight. Scissor the legs to bring the LEFT leg back up and lower the RIGHT leg as you rotate the torso to the LEFT. Continue alternating the legs as you twist to the opposite side. Complete 10 repetitions on each side.
- Flutter Kicks – Place your hands in a diamond shape under your tailbone and lift your head and your chest off the mat. Extend both legs straight up to the sky and start flutter kicking your legs up and down. As you flutter your legs, lower the legs down to about 45 degrees, and then flutter kick them back up to the sky. Complete 10 repetitions up and down.
- Roll Ups – Start by laying on your back with arms extended overhead and legs out straight. Engage your abs to flatten your lower back into the mat. Without using momentum, peel your spine off the mat, one vertebra at a time, pulling your navel into your spine. Keep using your abs to sit all the way up and reach towards your toes, making a C-curve with your spine. Slowly lower back down, keeping your heels glued to the mat, and repeat. The key is to make sure you roll SLOWLY through your spine, using your abs, and not “hoisting” yourself up with momentum. Repeat for 10 full roll downs.
Find your PRINTABLE download HERE!
Happy Monday, you beautiful ladies! And Good Luck! ♥︎