This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Bertolli. The opinions and text are all mine.
Ok, so here was the challenge…use chicken, a purple veggie, kumquats, basil, olive oil, and one “freebie” ingredient…I loved it because I felt like it was on of those cooking shows where you only have a limited amount of ingredients.
I decided to draw some inspiration from my rainbow detox salad and make a big salad base of cabbage! BOOM…now we’re getting somewhere!
But here’s the thing…you can’t just throw on some dressing on cabbage and hope it tastes amazing…it’s one of those veggies that needs a little time to marinate and take in all the flavor…so the THE KEY is to let it soak for a while in your vinaigrette.
But I wanted more — so I decided I would make a BIG batch of the vinaigrette, and put some on the cabbage, and then let my chicken marinate for a bit as well, too. YUM!
I let my cabbage and chicken marinate for about an hour, then pan seared my chicken in some Bertolli’s Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil for some extra crispy favor…I topped my salad with a little unexpected fresh basil, and garnished everything with some peanuts for a crunch!
The intense, full-bodied flavor is great for sautéing and seasoning meats — plus it’s amazing for marinades and dressings. It’s a premium-quality olive oil that meshes perfectly with my healthy goals AND my enjoyment of experimental cooking! 😉 Even though it’s simple, Bertolli Organic Extra Virgin Olive sparks spontaneity, adventure and connection in every dish!
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 purple cabbage, shredded
- 3-4 sprigs fresh basil, stems removed
- 2 tablespoons unsalted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons Bertolli Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil (for cooking)
- 1/2 cup Bertolli Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed kumquat juice (from about 1/2 pound of kumquats)
- salt + pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, combine all of the vinaigrette ingredients together and whisk until smooth. Pour half the vinaigrette in a separate medium bowl, and set aside.
- In one bowl add the chicken breast and place it in the refrigerator to marinate for 1 hour. In the other add the shredded cabbage, toss, and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour as well.
- After the chicken and cabbage have marinated, remove from the refrigerator, and preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over a medium high heat. Add the chicken and cook 3-4 minutes per side until lightly browned. Transfer the skillet to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees.
- While the chicken in cooking, finish preparing your salad, toss in the basil and peanuts to coat with the vinaigrette.
- Once the chicken is thoroughly cooked, remove from the oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Slice the chicken and add it to your cabbage salad. Enjoy!
Comments submitted may be displayed on other websites owned by the sponsoring brand.