Let’s talk about one of my favorite 5 minute meals right now — this Egg White & Avocado Toast.
I almost always have hard boiled eggs stocked in my fridge, so this meal literally takes 3 minutes to whip together, and 2 minutes to eat — and it’s SO GOOD!
Ok, so TRUTH.
I LOVE bread. I know I talk a lot about Ezekiel bread on here, and don’t get me wrong, I still love Ezekiel bread like no other. BUT, there honestly is nothing better than homemade bread.
I mentioned a few weeks ago, that I started making my own bread, thanks to inspiration from my favorite little breakfast joint in Minneapolis. But I really try to limit the amount that I actually eat.
THIS recipe is one of those times I indulge in the homemade bread — of course, Ezekiel bread is always a great option as well!
I have loved egg salad for as long as I can remember. It’s super simple and SO tasty. I remember, one summer when I was lifeguarding at Six Flags, I must have bought an egg salad sandwich EVERYDAY at work. <– that was right at the beginning of my weight loss stage, before I realized how much fat is usually in egg salad — oops!
Since that time, I have learned better and started making my own egg salad with some more calorie-friendly (and waistline-friendly!) options.
For starters, I usually take out a few of the egg yolks for the salad, leaving more whites than yolks. I don’t like taking all the yolks out because they have so many healthy nutrients!
Then instead of mayo, I use my all time favorite healthy swap — Greek yogurt! This not only saves on calories and fat, but also helps to boost the protein up a bit.
Last, but not least, I add in a little avocado. This helps to give that amazingly rich flavor — and let’s be honest, who doesn’t love avocado??
Put all that on some greens and a slice of fresh toast, and little fresh ground pepper — OMG YUM!
- 10 hard boiled egg whites
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon nonfat Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 slices Ezekiel bread or good quality whole wheat bread
- fresh arugula & black pepper to garnish
- Dice the egg whites into 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch pieces and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mash avocado and add in mustard, Greek yogurt and lemon juice, mixing until smooth.
- Stir in green onions and pepper and set aside.
- Fold the diced egg whites into the avocado mixture until completely combined.
- Serve on Ezekiel or whole wheat bread with fresh arugula & fresh ground black pepper, enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4
What’s you favorite 5-minute meal?