Don’t you just love finding out about something new?!…Me too!
Well, I guess technically this is FAR from new, it’s actually been around for thousands of years…I’m talking about Freekeh.
I know you probably have no idea what I’m talking about. Freekeh is an ancient grain that is gaining popularity in the nutrition world — and for good reason. It’s FULL of great stuff, like protein, nutrients, and healthy low-glycemic carbs to keep you satisfied and your blood sugar in check.
Before I even got my samples I was so excited to try it, I researched Freekeh, and knew it would be something that I would be adding to my pantry staples.
I put together a little chart for you to see the nutritional breakdown of Freekeh compared to quinoa and brown rice. I love how it’s lower in calories and higher in protein — not to mention how high it is in iron (super important for vegetarians!)
|1/4 cup serving size||Freekeh||Quinoa||Brown Rice|
|Fat||1 g||2 g||1.5 g|
|Carbs||28 g||29 g||36 g|
|Fiber||4 g||3 g||2 g|
|Protein||6 g||5 g||4 g|
|Iron (DV %)||20%||10%||4%|
So, needless to say I am hooked on Freekeh, and have already bought some to last me the next few weeks!
Anyway on to this salad, I first “officially” had this salad this summer while vacationing with my family in Newport. My aunt made a version of this salad…and I loved it. She didn’t add any grains to her’s but, I wanted to recreate it and add some healthy grains to keep me satisfied for even longer.
I thought Freekah would be the perfect this to try it with!
I also wanted to add even more protein to give this vegetarian salad a serious PUNCH. I thought edamame would be the perfect addition.
Many of the original recipes for “cowboy salad” use mostly canned ingredients and bottles of processed Italian dressing, so I obviously opted to make my own and use fresh ingredients.
I made up a tasty lime vinaigrette to drizzle on top, which in my opinion makes a lot more sense than Italian on a Mexican-inspired type dish.
For the Salad
- 2 cups prepared Freekeh Foods Original Freekeh
- 1 1/2 cups shelled edamame
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 – 14 ounce can corn, drained
- 4 Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 to 2 jalapeños, seeded and minced
- 1 avocado
For the Dressing
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- black pepper & salt to taste
- Prepare the freekeh and edamame separately according to the package instructions, and allow both to cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl add all the salad ingredients together and toss to combine.
- In a small bowl whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss once more to even coat the salad.
- Serve and enjoy!
- If you are preparing this ahead of time, don’t add the dressing or avocado until just before serving.
- Serving Size: 6
Have you ever tried Freekeh? What did you think and what did you make?
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored by Freekah Foods. As always opinions are 100% my own. Thanks for supporting the Live Fit Girls!