Ummm…so can we talk about the fact that there are still so many foods out there that I haven’t tried…especially HEALTHY foods?
I always thought that I had a lot of variety in my diet…and then insert farro.
How have I never had this simple grain before?!
If you like quinoa, you have to try farro. You cook the exact same way, and it’s perfect as a side dish (think “farro risotto”), and to add bulk to meals like this ahh-mazinggg winter salad, or soups and stews.
I teamed up with Village Harvest to bring you this delicious warm winter salad to help keep you warm during these chilly months.
If you’ve been ready The Live Fit girls for a while you may remember last year’s Winter Wonderful Salad — it’s filled with winter-friendly citrus fruit, pomegranates, and kale.
If you remember, I am always trying to find ways to sneak in salads, even in the winter. But winter produce can sometimes be tricky to find if you’re like me and try to eat mostly seasonally.
This new winter salad is another PERFECT salad to enjoy all winter. These winter root veggies are the perfect way to get tons of vitamins and minerals, and farro adds a tons of heartiness to make this salad filling, delicious, and savory!
So if you’re a faithful quinoa lover, why should you switch over to farro? (or at least add in for some variety! 😉 )
Well, for one you know I am a lover of protein-packed foods, and farro packs the same amount of protein per serving as quinoa coming in at 7 grams per serving, AND the same amount of fiber — 3 grams per serving.
Farro also contains a ton of vitamin B3, which helps to aid in metabolizing carbohydrates, fats and proteins, thumbs up to that!!
With tons of antioxidants, fiber and vitamins, Village Harvest also offers tons of other hearty grains like black rice, red and golden quinoa, and arborio. YAY for new ways to satisfy your desire to explore new flavors and healthy dishes!
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled & cubed
- 1 large beet, peeled & cubed
- 1 sweet potato, peeled & cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup farro, rinsed
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 bunch kale, stems removed and shredded
- 1/4 cup unsweetened dried cranberries (optional as a garnish)
For the Dressing
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- After peeling the root veggies, cube them into 1-inch bite sized pieces. Coat the veggies evenly with olive oil.
- In a small bowl combine the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and thyme. Sprinkle the spices over the veggies and toss to coat the veggies.
- Spread the veggies in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake for 35-45 minutes, tossing halfway through.
- While the veggies are cooking prepare the farro.
- Bring the chicken or vegetable broth and farro to a bowl over a high heat. Once boiling, turn heat to low and simmer for 25-30 minutes. Once the farro is done it should be a chewy and most of the broth should be absorbed.
- While the farro and veggies are cooking, prepare the kale for the salad. Remove the rough stalk from the leaves, and cut or shred the kale leaves into 1/4 inch ribbons, and transfer the shredded kale to a bowl, and set aside.
- Whisk together the dressing ingredients in a small bowl and drizzle over the kale. Using your hands, gently massage the dressing into the kale to break up the tough fibers and allow the dressing to marinate into the kale.
- Once the farro and veggies are finished cooking remove them from heat.
- When ready, prepare your salad by combining the kale, veggies, and farro and toss to combine. If desired, garnish with dried cranberries. Enjoy!
- This salad is perfect to prepare ahead of time and tastes great hot or cold!
- Serving Size: 3
Have you ever tried farro? What’s your favorite way to enjoy it?
This is a sponsored post in collaboration with Village Harvest. All opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands I love and that make The Live Fit Girls possible!