This simple, low-fat, and lower calorie SKINNY Broccoli Cheddar soup is a healthy remake of a favorite classic recipe that will warm you up!
So I know I’m not alone in my love for Panera’s Broccoli Cheddar soup. It’s like one of the best recipe creations out there since sliced bread. Am I right?!
But if you’ve ever looked at the nutrition info for it you might be surprised that it has 23 grams of fat per bowl serving!! — and 15 grams per cup serving!!
Now I am by no means a “low-fat” eater…but for something that I usually eat in addition to a half sandwich or with a salad, that’s quite a bit of fat for one serving…I’d rather eat my fat in almond butter or avocados!
So I set out on creating a SKINNY Broccoli Cheddar Soup that is still just as delicious!!
For this recipe, I partnered up with Almond Breeze to create a classic recipe that will help with your New Years Resolutions.
And that means it’s lower in calories (and fat!) and will help you reach your goals this year without giving up tons of flavor!
Now of course, you can’t have Broccoli CHEDDAR soup without cheddar…so with cheese being naturally high in fat, I would recommend finding a part-skim cheddar to make this soup — but don’t worry you’ll never even be able to tell the difference!
It’s really important to find a BLOCK of cheese rather than buying the bagged shredded cheese. First of all, lots of bagged shredded cheese has a coating on it made from wood pulp. Ummm, EW! But even the good stuff you get at places like Whole Foods has a coating made from potato starch (much better, in my opinion, than WOOD), but it still doesn’t melt very easily in a recipe like this…so fresh is THE way to go!
The second way to save on some calories and fat is by replacing the cream with unsweetened original almond milk. Almond milk has only 30 calories per cup, whereas heavy cream has over 400!…yeah, I’d rather save my calories for something else, thank you very much! 😉
Then you’re left with a tasty, comforting soup, low in calories and loaded with veggies! YUM!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 cup grated carrots (about 2 medium carrots, peeled)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 cups Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almondmilk
- 1 large head of broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces freshly-grated, part-skim sharp cheddar cheese, plus more for serving
- Heat the olive oil in a stockpot over a medium-high heat.
- Add the onions and saute for 2-3 minutes, then add the carrots and continue cooking for about 2 more minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the garlic and allow it to cook for a minute until fragrant.
- Whisk in the vegetable broth, almond milk, mustard, and salt and pepper. Stir even few minutes until it reaches a simmer, then turn to medium-low heat, and allow the broccoli to cook until fork tender, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the fresh grated cheese and allow it to melt all the way through.
- Serve with some additional shredded cheese and enjoy!
- *Be sure to use fresh grated cheese, that you grate yourself. Package grated cheese you buy at the store has a coating on it to prevent it from sticking to each other and it doesn’t melt properly.
- Serving Size: 6
So what’s you favorite “skinny” version of a classic dish?
This post sponsored by Blue Diamond Almond Breeze Almond Milk.