If you are looking for a simple and QUICK weeknight dinner this is it.
I throw this tasty meal together on weeknights that I really don’t feel like cooking…yes, it happens to me too!
I almost always have some skinny pesto in my freezer, and loveeeee sun-dried tomatoes — so, I usually always have those on hand too! — so, this is the perfect meal for lazy nights. PLUS, it’s totally VEGAN and seriously full of flavor.
Even though it’s vegan I wanted to make sure to get a little protein in there, so I decided to use Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts to give it a little boost!
Then, I sprinkled a little extra hemp hearts on top of the pasta…oh my gosh…YUM!
I love spaghetti squash! It’s one of my favorite ingredients swaps to turn any meal into a Fit Girl approved meal. It lowers the carbohydrate amount dramatically AND gives you an extra serving of fiber-rich veggies! 😉
Spaghetti squash are super simple to make ahead of time, too. During the fall, I always have some prepped spaghetti squash in the fridge ready for a quick meal. You can either microwave it — I follow these directions for microwaving them — or you can roast them.
I alternate between the two, because I find microwaving them SUPER convenient, but I prefer almost any veggie roasted because I find it brings out a much better flavor. For this recipe, I roasted my squash, but feel free to microwave if you need a quick weeknight dinner.
For the Pasta
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil
- hemp hearts to garnish
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
For the Vegan Pesto
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves (tightly packed)
- 2 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Carefully cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise using a sharp knife, then use a large spoon to scoop out the seeds.
- Brush the inside of the squash with olive oil and season lightly with sea salt. Place the squash cut-side-down on the baking sheet, and bake for 45 minutes, or until you can scoop the squash out with a fork.
- While the squash is baking, prepare the pesto. Place all the pesto ingredients in a food processor and blend for a few minutes or until smooth.
- Once the squash is fully cooked, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool 10-15 minutes or until you can safely handle it.
- Use a fork to scoop out the squash into fine strings and place onto serving dishes. Top with desired amount of pesto, sun-dried tomatoes, hemp hearts, and salt & pepper to taste.
- Serving Size: 2
I’ve partnered with Manitoba Harvest to give YOU the chance to win some hemp hearts of your own! Enter the giveaway by November 18th for a chance to win! 🙂
What’s the most creative way you’ve used hemp hearts?
Disclaimer: This post is sponsored byManitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts. As always opinions are 100% my own. Thanks for supporting the Live Fit Girls!