‘Tis the season for Barbecuing! As you already know, we had a little rooftop cookout last weekend where Deanna made Simple Grilled Shrimp and a delicious Strawberry Lemonade! Since I never come empty handed to a BBQ, I brought my go-to-grilling-favorite, Teriyaki Marinated Chicken Kebobs.
As you may know, most teriyaki sauces are LOADED with sugar and sodium, but I like to make my own so that I can control exactly what goes into my marinade. This recipe is simple to make and won’t ruin your hard earned summer figure!
For these kebobs, I chose onions, tomatoes and peppers as my veggies… but every time I make these I tend to change it up, The beauty of kebobs is that there is no wrong way to make them! Whatever you want, just stick it on the kebob and grill it up! feel free to load up your skewers with any vegetables and protein you like.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 zucchinis
- 1 red onion
- 1 yellow or orange pepper
- 8 ounces mushrooms
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
For the Skinny Teriyaki Sauce
- 1/2 cup light soy sauce OR coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup tablespoons pineapple juice
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 1–2 tablespoons grated ginger
- 3–4 cloves garlic, minced
For the Sriracha Lime Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha
- juice from 1 lime
- Mix the teriyaki sauce ingredients together in a small bowl. Pour 1/3 of the sauce into an airtight container and store in the fridge to use when you are ready to cook everything. Set the remaining sauce aside.
- Cut the veggies into bite-size pieces. Place the prepared chicken and veggies into large bowl, and pour the remaining 2/3 of the teriyaki sauce over them to marinate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- When you’re ready to cook everything: Preheat the grill to a medium-high heat.
- Prepare your skewers, alternating the chicken and veggie pieces as you do.
- Lightly grease your grill with melted coconut oil and a basting brushLINK. Place the skewers on the grill, and cook for 10-12 minutes, turning as needed.
- Use the remaining 1/3 of teriyaki sauce to baste the skewers frequently as you cook.
- For the Sriracha Lime Dipping Sauce: In a small bowl, combine the sauce ingredients together until smooth. Serve with the kebabs, and enjoy!
Meal Prep Tips
- To Store: Remove the chicken and veggies from the skewers, and place in a meal prep containerLINK. Serve with brown rice or quinoa for a healthy carb, and garnish with sliced limes. This recipe will keep in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
- To Reheat: Microwave for about 2 minutes on high, and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 8
Share this recipe on twitter and have your friends bring their favorite foods so you can have a kebobin’ party! Pin this to your Summer Sunshine Pinterest Board and let the summer cook outs continue to be delicious and healthy!