BUT, I do try to keep my carbs on the healthy side…which is why I shared my favorite must-have grains the other day.
One of my absolute favorites is brown rice — it’s a staple as a side dish and as part of many of my meals — think burrito bowl…Mmmm!
The thing is brown rice takes a little bit longer than white rice to cook because of the outer bran layer — which gives it it’s nutritional boost — and with trying to keep everything as healthy, SIMPLE, and fast as possible…that’s not the most ideal.
So, because it can take 45 minutes to an hour to cook, I like cooking a big batch and then freezing it, for a FAST and easy option durning the busy week.
The thing is, you can make about 10 servings of brown rice at once and you’ll have a nutritious and filling addition to any meal in minutes, because you can FREEZE pre-made rice for a super fast option which you’re in a pinch.
I ALWAYS have some pre-cooked brown rice in my freezer for when I’m not in the mood to cook up something elaborate. I just pop the container in the microwave for a minute or two, and BAM instant brown rice! 😉
Seriously, prepping and freezing some brown rice is one of my favorite little meal prep tricks!
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups brown rice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pink Himalayan salt or sea salt
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and bring the water to a boil.
- Place the rice into an 8-inch square glass baking dish and mix in the olive oil and salt to coat the rice.
- Once the water boils, pour it over the rice and stir to combine.
- Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour. After 1 hour, remove cover and fluff the rice with a fork.
To freeze & reheat
- Once cooked, scoop 1/2 cup to 1 cup of rice into and air tight container and freeze.
- To reheat, place the frozen rice in the microwave and cook 1-2 minutes, or until warmed through. Fluff with a fork and serve!
- Serving Size: 8
Do you have any meal prepping tips or tricks?? I’d love to hear them!