Olé! These skinny fish tacos will make you say HOORAY!😋 They’re light on calories, and BIG on flavor…and the best part?…They’re HEALTHY!
I mean it. I will eat every last chip (and usually order more), I will eat the guacamole, queso, salsa, rice, beans, a GIANT burrito…oh, and don’t forget the CHURROS!!
Just last week, Nik and I decided to make fish tacos as our Sunday “Date Night” meal. Nik, being from Southern California, is a wiz at fish tacos. So most of the cooking that night was of his doing. Here is our recipe for Healthy Fish Tacos.
We prepared all the toppings first since the fish take literally 5 minutes to cook. We made a simple cabbage slaw and a Cilantro Lime Crema sauce out of the ultimate healthy ingredient, Greek yogurt. It’s so tasty, and helps keep this meal low in fat. SCORE!
We mixed together a little homemade cajun seasoning, chili powder, and ground cumin to sprinkle over the tilapia, and blackened it in a skillet. Shredded it all up with some forks, assembled our tacos, and DONE! The whole meal takes only 15 minutes! BOOM!
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- juice from 1 lime
- 1 1/2 cups shredded red cabbage
- 1/2 cup cilantro, loosely packed
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon raw honey
- juice from 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound white fish fillets (I used tilapia)
- 1 tablespoon cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- 8 Ezekiel or sprouted corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup guacamole
- 1/4 cup pico de gallo
- Mix all ingredients in a small bowl until smooth. Spoon the mixture into a plastic baggy and cut a 1/4 inch from the corner to make a piping bag. Set aside.
- Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over a medium heat.
- Season each side of the fillets and carefully lay the fillets in the hot skillet.
- Allow each side of the fish to blacken, about 3-5 minutes.
- Once the fish is cooked through and flakes easily with a fork, remove from heat and place on a plate.
- Using two two forks, gently pull the fillets apart to shred.
- Arrange fish, cabbage, pico de gallo, guacamole in each tortilla and drizzle with Cilantro Lime Crema. Enjoy! 🙂
What’s are your favorite Mexican dish? And how do you make it healthier?