If you’ve seen our Resistance Band Booty Workout, you know that we LOVE having resistance bands as part of our home gym equipment. They are really inexpensive, take up virtually no space, and are relatively easy to find. (Find them on Amazon HERE) They are also the perfect piece of equipment to have to bring to the park or on vacation because they are small and lightweight. You can get a great full body workout with just ONE little piece of equipment!
We love adding resistance bands into our ab workouts because it ensures that we go nice and SLOW and don’t use momentum when going through the movements. Ab muscles benefit from slower controlled movements more than fast, jerky movements. So make sure to do these exercises SLOW!
Flat Abs Tricks and Tips!
♥ CHUG your water, make sure you’re getting AL LEAST 64 ounces of water a day, plus 8 ounces for every 30 minutes you workout or for each alcoholic beverage your consume. Try adding fruit to make it tastier and more like a special treat!
♥ HIIT your Workouts HARD! – High Intensity Interval Workouts can burn the most amount of calories in the shortest amount of time as well as make your body a fat blasting machine ALL DAY LONG. This is why we love our #WakeUpWorkouts!
♥ Stand and sit with good posture! As a Pilates instructor, I see all day long how posture can effect peoples appearance. Stand or sit tall, reaching the crown of your head to the sky, keep your shoulders back and down away from your neck, and engage your abdominals – as if you were doing a plank. Practice standing and sitting like this as much as possible and soon you will notice a difference in how you look and feel!
Resistance Band Ab Workout
Complete this workout as a circuit moving from one exercise to the next without rest. Repeat this circuit 2-3 times through.
- Oblique Twists – Start standing with the handles under your RIGHT foot, the band looped around your LEFT hand, so that it crosses in front of your body, and your hands behind your head. Twist toward the LEFT, rotating from your obliques. Slowly twist back to center and repeat for 15 repetitions on each side.
- Side Bends – Start standing with the handles under your RIGHT foot, and holding the loop in your RIGHT hand with your elbow bent at 90 degrees. Press the band up overhead and reach up and over to the LEFT, squeezing your LEFT oblique and starting your RIGHT side body. Return to a straight line and repeat for 25 repetitions on each side.
- Lower Ab Press – Start laying on your back with the band looped around the arches of your feet, knees bent in towards your chest, and holding the handles in both hands. Engage your lower abs and press through your feet to straighten the legs. Keeping the lower abs tight, bend the knees back in and repeat for 15 repetitions.
- Open Close – Start laying on your back with the band looped around the arches of your feet and your lower abs engaged to straighten your legs to a 45 degree angle to the floor. Keeping the lower abs tight, open your feet shoulder width apart, and slowly bring the feet back together. Repeat for 15 repetitions.
- Leg Lowers – Start laying on your back with the band looped around the arches of your feet and your lower abs engaged to straighten your legs to the ceiling. Keeping the lower abs tight, lower the legs down to a 45 degree angle to the floor and use your abs to loft the legs back up. Repeat for 15 repetitions.