Now you may or may not know about my love affair with Mexican food. But if you haven’t heard yet, I LOVE MEXICAN. And Cinco de Mayo is a favorite holiday of mine for just that reason!
I would have to say Mexican is probably my favorite style of food. And until semi-recently, I have only ever been able to enjoy seafood dishes (I was a pescetarian for 10 years). But since coming back to the full-on carnivore side, I can now enjoy all sorts of tasty Mexican dishes.
The only problem with that is that my waistline would NOT be too happy about all that. So of course, I had to make a “skinny” version of a new fav, Baja Chicken Tacos with Spicy Chipotle Sauce!!
If you haven’t seen my Skinny Fish Tacos from last year, I would definitely check them out too! (And even if you have, go check them out again, the photos recently got a MAJOR facelift and the recipe has changed a bit, find it here!)
These are made almost the same way as the fish tacos, I just changed up the sauce and cabbage slaw a bit. I can’t decide which is better.
And the best part is…you don’t have to! Both recipes only take about 15-20 minutes each…So why not make both! Oh and don’t forget the Skinny Margaritas! 😉
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- salt & pepper to taste
- juice from 1 lime
- 3/4 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 3/4 cup Napa cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 shredded carrot (about 1 large carrot)
- 3 tablespoons nonfat Greek yogurt
- juice from 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon raw honey (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1-2 ancho chili (canned in sauce)
- 8 sprouted corn tortillas
- pico de gallo
- lime wedges for garnish
- Slice chicken breasts thin, into 1/4 inch strips, and place in a medium bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mix to evenly coat the chicken with olive oil and spices.
- Preheat a large skillet over a medium-high heat.
- Sauté chicken for 5-8 minutes or until lightly browned and the chicken is cooked through.
- While the chicken in cooking prepare the cabbage. Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, combine ingredients until smooth. Spoon mixture into a plastic baggy and cut the corner off to open a 1/4 inch.
- Arrange chicken, cabbage slaw, pico de gallo, and guacamole on a corn tortilla. Pipe the chipotle sauce over each taco, drizzle with lime juice, and enjoy! 🙂
Do you have any fun plans for Cinco de Mayo this year?