As summer comes to an end this weekend with Labor Day, I wanted to make sure it went out with a BANG!
So, what better way than to celebrate the end of summer with an ALL-TIME favorite summer treat?!
Yes, that’s right…I healthified S’MORES!! <– yes, healthified is a word
I teamed up with my friends over at Madhava Sweetneners to bring you a healthy snack recipe. So, the first part to the perfect healthy s’mores…if of course…THE GRAHAM. (Yes, that’s a reference to Sandlot, incase you didn’t catch it!)
Graham crackers the perfect snack for SO. MANY. THINGS.
I remember growing up I loved having cream cheese with fresh strawberries on graham crackers…or heck even just graham crackers by themselves. I am also a sucker for graham cracker crusts in pies…or cheesecake! Oh, the possibilities are endless!
These are perfect for a healthy treat or snack, especially if you have little ones! And you’ll be delightfully surprised at how easy they actually are to make. They are just as simple as making sugar cookies, so if you do have little ones of your own, they would love to help make these with you, I’m sure!
I’m positive I will never buy store bought again…these are just too tasty and so much healthier!
To make these healthier, I opted to use some of my most favorite ingredient swaps, oat flour and coconut sugar. You simply just have to mix all of your ingredients together, roll it out flat, and cut them into squares…for some reason I really thought making my own graham crackers was difficult, until I actually tried it!
As you know, I LOVE my coconut sugar…but you may be wondering why I love it some much…well, here are a few:
Reasons to ♡ Coconut Sugar
♥︎ Has a much lower Glycemic Index than table sugar. Coconut sugar has a glycemic index of 35, while table sugar’s is anywhere from 60-75. This means there is less of a spike in blood sugar and insulin levels.
♥︎ Coconut Sugar is filled with naturally occurring nutrients like magnesium, potassium, zinc, iron, and vitamin B.
♥︎ Coconut Sugar is also very eco-friendly. The production of coconut sugar uses far less water and fuel than traditional sugar cane production, making it one of the most sustainable sweeteners in the world.
♥︎ It’s perfectly simple to substitute for sugar. With a one to one ratio, there is quite literally, no easier sugar alternative! You don’t have to even think about it.
- 1 1/2 cup gluten-free oat flour
- 1/3 cup Madhava Organic Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup water
- Preheat your oven to 350 and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together the dry ingredients.
- Add the coconut oil and vanilla, and mix with a fork to incorporate the dry ingredients into the oil.
- Add the water a tablespoon or two at a time until it comes together into a wet dough. You don't want it too be too sticky, so be sure you add just enough water to create a dough ball.
- Spread some extra oat flour onto a clean counter top and using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to 1/8 inch thick.
- Using a knife or pizza cutter, cut the rolled out dough into 3 inch squares. If you would like, poke holes in the dough using a toothpick or a fork.
- Carefully place each cookie on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, rotating the baking sheets halfway through. The edges should be golden brown once properly cooked.
Stay tuned for the S’mores recipe coming your way tomorrow! 😉
This post sponsored by Madhava Sweeteners, but all opinions are my own. I only share brands that I am passionate about, so thank you so much for supporting them! Learn more about Madhava on Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook.